Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Service dog, alert humor

Something funny happened a few weeks ago, and I almost forgot to write about it. Ember can alert other people if I need help, and normally does so by nudging with her snout or pawing a certain way, normally targeting leg / thigh area. She will be more persistent if the person doesn't respond quick enough, or if the situation is more serious, alerting more forcefully or repeatedly to get the person's attention so they know she is alerting.

I was coming downstairs and had a sudden pain jolt and got very dizzy, and my eyes kept forcing themselves shut and burning and refused to stay open. Ember immediately came and sat with me to make sure I was okay, but she didn't have her work harness on and I couldn't see. Mike was in the living room, laying back on the reclining couch watching a movie with loud explosions, so he couldn't hear me call for him.

So I sent Ember to get him. She took off like a bolt of lightning, and a few seconds later I hear "OOGGHRAHAHRTHAHHHOWWHHHGHH"

Then a very long pause with various sounds of pain. The TV was muted and Mike called out painfully "Did you send her?"

I told him I did, I was on the stairs and needed his help and asked what happened, though I had a feeling I knew the answer.  And sure enough.

Ember had paw-slammed him right in the crotch with both paws, full force.

I guess because he was reclining, she couldn't touch the side of his leg or figure out how else to target that area because he had blankets on him and she couldn't see, so she improvised.

He was eventually able to come help me, and we had a good laugh and joked that we'd need to work on that one, because it doesn't do any good to have her get help if the help is incapacitated due to unfortunate placement of paws, in regards to male subjects.

No comments:

Post a Comment