Saturday, March 30, 2013

Discrimination

I just got confirmation that I was discriminated against for a job I applied for several months ago. The position was for dog training, which is something I have years of hands on experience with, in various environments, and related to my college studies in biology and behavioral psychology. I have continued to advance my knowledge by reading related materials, attending seminars, and continuing education sorts of things, including working toward applying for my CGC evaluator certification and CPDT certification. I even personally trained my own pet dog to become an organization certified service dog. Things all discussed through the multiple interview process I went through.

Who gets hired instead? Someone with *NO* animal training experience whatsoever. Apparently this person was originally hired on to be one of the managers, but didn't work out for that position. So instead, they were 'demoted' into the open position I had applied for.

The original manager that *personally asked me* to apply for this position (we met and interacted in the store on numerous occasions and she had seen me work with Ember and knew me as a Camp Companion volunteer), had brought me in for an interview, and was ready to hire me.

Sadly, she quit during the process ( I think she was getting flack pressure from district about 'numbers/stats' and other bad stuff but I don't know all the details).  When the new temp management took over, no one bothered to contact me for a follow up like they told me they would, despite several attempts I made to follow up with them when I found out the manager I knew had left.

There were certain things overheard during the hiring consideration, related to myself and employees who currently work there about how they "didn't want more people with health problems working there".

So instead, you'll hire 20 year olds fresh out of school ( most of which have no training experience, though some do ) that are only looking for a job to have a job, and have no intention of making it a lifelong career, especially with your corporation, as has been proven by your store's track record for the past several years. They last 6 months, if even.

I can understand somewhat from a business perspective....employees miss work here or there, compensating for it and possibly losing a little money or productivity here or there. But really? Life happens. We are not robots. And your store being a huge corporation, it is not going to hurt you like it might for smaller private businesses, which even then is still unfounded grounds not to hire someone because they "might miss work because they have health issues".

You are walking a very dangerous line by making such statements, and still claiming to be an "equal opportunity employer".  Your inflated corporate ego has smashed the caring principles your store and business were originally founded on, and I am not the only one who is disgusted by it.

You are not the only company I tried to work for, or actually have worked for and been forced to leave, who has demonstrated such horrible attitude and lack of consideration for their workers. Only previously, I didn't realize how wrong the way I was treated was, and how much of a ground I had to stand on, because at the time, I hadn't been fully diagnosed with any chronic health conditions I'd have to live with the rest of my life.

Now, I know better, and I know my rights.

You just opened a huge can of worms.

No comments:

Post a Comment