Sunday, June 1, 2014

Poor Possum

Coming home tonight, about to make the turn to come back to the house and see something on the curb of the median. The car in front of me hits it. It was a possum. I managed to miss it and so did the car behind me because I slowed down and breaked suddenly and swerved.

Ran inside after I parked in the driveway, grabbed a broom and large upright/stick dustpan and ran back out with my aunt looking at me like "WTF are you doing?" and me calling back that I'd explain after.

I ran back across the street, managed to find it, still alive but hard to tell how badly hurt. There was some blood but otherwise nothing ripped that I could see and nothing dripping all over. Tried getting it on the dustpan with it hissing and chorking and making horrid angry noises. Managed to scoop/guide the possum up onto the median. The road is 4 lane divided by median, 2 lanes each side.

Dustpan broke when I tried to pick the possum up in it because it was so heavy... ran back across the street and grabbed the only thing I could... old jaw action poop-scoop my aunt has off to the side and is actually pretty clean ( it is old and not used much )... run back across the street, put the jaws on either side of possum and scooped it up, and proceeded to carry it back to our side of the street, set it down a time or two to rest. Managed to get it back to the dark alley on the side of the house and placed it by a bush, which it crawled under. It was snarking at me the whole time and despite a slight limp it looked okay and moved okay.

My ankle is *screaming* at me for attempting to jog/run on it when it was already very angry.  But at least the possum is away from the road now.  Hopefully it'll recover and move on its way overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment