Sunday, May 18, 2014

Upcoming Birthday, Service Dog Fund, Rambles

Several people have asked about getting me something for my birthday which is this Wednesday, May 21st.

If anyone wanted to get me anything, I would instead ask if you might consider donating something to Journey's service dog fund. You can share the link with people you know too.

Here is the link:

http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/fundraising-for-mobility-assist-service-dogs/125196


There hasn't been much interest generated by it the times I shared it, and I am pretty sure the same handful of people see my posts, so I can't keep asking you guys to donate more when you already have ( which I am eternally thankful for because every $1 helped! ).  I still need to raise money for training and supplies. I owe my aunt $100 because she helped me buy Journey a new kennel as long as I promised to pay for half of it ( one of the extra large shell kennels costing almost $300, got it on sale yaaay but still expensive ). I also need to get Journey a work vest because he has outgrown the temporary backpack I have used ( not to mention the thing is old and starting to show wear and tear - had it since Ember first came to us! ). So between paying my aunt back for the kennel, needing a work vest, and needing some new leashes, that would be where the money would be best spent.

I didn't tell anyone anything sooner or link to my Amazon wishlist because I feel bad not being able to reciprocate the gift giving aside from things I can make, and at the moment with my wrist messed up it has put making things at a standstill, and I still have outstanding commissions I need to finish first.

Most of the things I actually want or need are too expensive. Camera or art related things to help me on the professional / income level. With other general expenses, I feel guilty spending anything I might get for my birthday to actually get anything for myself. I'd end up spending it on things needed for Journey or Ember or the cats. Or buying medicine or personal care items for myself or paying bills. Which is what has happened for many years.

The only real exception was my 40gal aquarium I got several years ago when we lived in Rochester and money was okay. I ended up having to give it away ( I left it with the people I used to work for ) because there was originally not going to be any room for it where I was going ( farm trailer ), and hardly any room left in the truck to safely transport it and its stand. I'm still sad I no longer have it. Watching the fish swim around and listening to the water was calming meditation zen for me, and entertainment for Raven to watch "fish TV". Now while there is room at my aunt's if I wanted one again, it's a matter of having the money for starting one again. I'd probably have to go back to a 10gal because anything larger obviously costs a lot more to purchase.

At this point, I'd rather invest the money in camera stuff. I have found it increasingly more difficult to take pictures with my DSLR because I am not able to hold the camera still and steady like I used to. It's even worse since my wrist injury at the end of last year, still not healed. The motion blur I am ending up with is horrid, and despite having a tripod, I can't always use it or don't always have it ready to catch a quick shot. I really need to invest in some image stabilized lenses, and I have been saying that and wanting one for years. But they are upwards of $500 for a good one. So that isn't happening anytime soon.

The only other personal spend I would put money out for right now is to get myself a new bike. My doctors recommended biking for exercise and strengthening that would be gentler on my body with my medical issues. I have a treadmill I use, but the walking/standing position gets to me and makes my ankles and legs start hurting more quickly, so I can't do it as long. At least with the bike, I am sitting and have a way to balance myself. If all else fails and I am away from home and have a bad spell, I have just rolled home and had Ember help pull when she was younger. Journey is going to be so big, dog carting would be easy for him. I had to leave my old bike behind when we moved ( it was a Walmart bike I intended to replace eventually anyway ). I hope the neighbor's kids at least got some use out of it.

Other stuff I need is clothing related. I'd buy a few new tshirts or shorts, have been needing to for some time, but the little trickle of money ends up going to other necessities instead.

So overall, the money being spent would be for something that is actually beneficial, not just a frivolous want. But I don't have the luxury either way. Just writing to get the thoughts out of my head and ramble some.

No comments:

Post a Comment