Sunday, January 12, 2014

A Puppy




I have been searching for months now, before we even left Minnesota, to try and find information, networking contacts, and sources for potential dogs I could train as Ember's successor. I made many new friends along the way, and have spoken with lots of helpful people, but they all agreed it would be a difficult process to find a good dog, especially in the South with prevalence of heartworms being so high that many available dogs are heartworm positive.

Since talking with my family and having their support, I started putting feelers out and having friends watch for potential dogs, locally and out of state. Most dogs didn't meet the physical size requirements, and many that did were too old or had physical or behavior issues that disqualified them.

I checked the rescues and local shelters, but they didn't have anything that would work out. I came across various private owners with dogs that sounded like they had potential, and went through evaluations, but still no luck. Even area CL postings were pretty dry.  I contacted many, but only heard back from a few, and most of it was just absurd or too questionable for my taste, as those things tend to be.

Sometimes I click on random links that have nothing to do with what I am searching for, just to see something someone is offering or see if there's anything I could do to help if I am in the local area and it is a rescue post or missing animal post.

By chance I happened to click on one and found beautiful images of a huge sable male German Shepherd who was missing and the family ( especially the kids ) were devastated because it was just around Christmas time. I was sad for them and hoped they'd find him, but never expected to hear the outcome.

It was some time after that, over a week I believe, and to my surprise I found an update post with the family happily rejoicing because some kind person had rescued the dog and through sheer luck and good fortune, they'd been reunited.

Having heard and seen so many similar stories in my years of rescue that didn't end well or you never end up finding out what happened, it was touching to see them post the update thanking everyone who had helped search for their beloved dog.

I was so happy for them by the luck of the situation and how they explained it all fell into place, I contacted them to thank them for posting an update to let us know their beautiful dog was safe and sound. Since their dog was such a large size and had characteristics I was hoping to find in a dog, I asked them if they could tell me where he'd come from, since I was having so much trouble finding anything locally.

That's when I found out they had the puppies. After lots of discussion, we came to the conclusion it was the closest we had come to finding reasonable options that fit the specifics we needed.  Mom and I drove out to see them. We saw the mother and father, both beautiful animals. I told him he was a lucky boy to find his way home. He was a gentle giant. The puppies were adorable and fun to watch. We spent a long time there talking with the awesome family and watching the puppies.

From the moment they were brought out where we could see them, one male puppy took an instant liking to me and followed me when I would move, and when I sat on the ground to watch them all, he'd come over and interact with me, and several times he curled up on me and took a nap. I'd move ( sore from sitting ) and when I sat back down again, he kept seeking me out.

He chose me. The rest was history. We just have to wait till they're a little older so they can get the early socialization they need with their parents and the other pups.

This feels like one of those situations that was meant to happen.


Please consider donating to help me get this pup so I can start training him for service dog work.


http://www.youcaring.com/pet-expenses/fundraising-for-mobility-assist-service-dog/125196



Share this everywhere you can so more people can see and help.

No comments:

Post a Comment