Saturday, September 22, 2012

Joining The Mainstream Blogosphere

I finally decided to create a presence among the mainstream blogosphere.  While I am new to Blogspot/Blogger, this is by no means my first time "blog-ing".  I have well over a decade's experience with writing and online journaling. My roots reach far back to the "glory days" of LiveJournal (LJ ) before it was sold off, and in many other places before and since.

I am an artist and a writer. I love to create, and I love to write. Many have said I have a gift in the meaningful way I weave words. There are times I simply feel like I am rambling aimlessly, and perhaps I am.

 I have an honest desire to get to know people I interact with in places like this, LJ, Facebook, Twitter, or whatever else have you. I thoroughly enjoy stimulating conversations, sharing ideas and getting to know the people behind the words and online presences. I value and miss the sense of community that LJ used to have, and while I have not given up on it, I am hoping I might find something similar or better here.

I have not quite decided how I will share content here. LJ has been my primary writing space for a long time, and even after I joined Facebook and Twitter, I still much prefer journal-oriented sites as opposed to "social media" sites. I keep seeing a pattern, they don't seem to be very 'sociable'. People have forgotten how to communicate, stuck in short-hand stupors. They get the "too long, didn't read" mentality and just scroll past because it takes too much time and effort.  It makes me sad.

Until this point, I have cross posted certain things between my other three accounts, when it was writing updates about what was going on in my life, or sharing my artistic creations, or just something neat I found.  Sometimes shorter rambles are reserved for the character-restrictive sites, random mind blathers.  This blog will probably serve as a combination of everything about my life, my animals ( who are family and mean the world to me ), and my artistic creations, photography, and writing.

I am still learning to navigate the site, finding out where all the layout editing tools are located, so I can make it more personalized. If you happen to stumble upon this and have any recommendations or suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

I will be poking around while I gather content to start adding here, seeking out things that interest me, and hopefully I can meet some really awesome people along the way.

2 comments:

  1. I just had a friend over on Dreamwidth make a similar post about the lack of community/privacy/intimacy on social media sites compared to LJ/DW. How people now apologize for making "long" posts. People now communicate through 140 characters and everything seems so superficial and unsafe. Dunno. It was interesting to read your post and her post, one after another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly it does feel more superficial. I have considered joining Dreamwidth as well. Perhaps it is LJ reborn.

      Either way, at first I sort of felt bad about flooding people with longer posts in FB/Twitt since it is designed for short stuff, but then I said screw it.

      Many people will be lazy and "too long, didn't read" longer stuff. So be it.

      But these places are my personal spaces for expressing myself, and my thoughts, which are many, meaningful, and deep. So I have been told, anyway. Thus, I won't apologize for expressing myself in length, simply because others want a "dumbed down and watered down short version".

      That's part of what's wrong with the world these days, and what has caused such a significant rift in true communication.

      Delete