Monday, February 17, 2014

Ember was "carded"

I actually got "carded" today for Ember.

It happened when we went to my appointment at the medical center. We checked in and were sitting in the waiting room, Ember laying quietly. A guy came out of the back area to leave, and he had a rolling walker, so I had Ember move a little so he could get by. He smiled and gave her a compliment. A woman across the room who had been there a good 10mins and hadn't noticed Ember freaked out and yelled and jumped across the room, scaring everyone in the waiting area and reception. Which got the attention of the clinic manager.

I explained Ember was a mobility assist dog. They kept asking if she was a "guide dog", so I explained she was a service dog, for mobility assist. They asked me to come to the counter after a few minutes and then the manager asked me if I had documentation for Ember. I explained I was not required to have such documentation and by federal law she was allowed to be with me, but the woman repeated herself. I explained again, and because I do carry an ID card I offered to show that, along with a card stating the ADA stature that it was not required, I was offering it voluntarily, etc.

She asked if she could take it and make a copy, and asked them to make a note in my account for future records so I wasn't bothered. It was pretty clear they had probably never heard of or seen an assistance dog aside from a guide dog, so after the appointment I requested to speak with the manager for a few minutes.

I politely explained what Ember was in more detail, offered other examples of assistance dogs, and explained how the law worked, and I offered them some resource info they could research. She admitted they'd only had guide dogs go through, and I explained that not all people carry documentation, so I had been worried they would expect the next person to have it because I did, and I didn't want them to get in trouble or another person be denied, especially another owner-trainer. They were very polite about it and thanked me because it would likely help them avoid future problems.

It makes me wonder if they would have given me a hard time if I had not had the card.  I am beginning to realize just how many people here have no clue, when even community medical centers react oddly to it.

It has me wondering how much difficulty I am going to have bringing Journey to places other than pet stores ( like the mall, Home Depot, etc. ) for starting his public access exposure like I did with Ember. I really need to get his training vest so he'll be clearly identified by professional gear.

We'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment